You’ve probably heard by now that Colour Conglomerate, the Pantone Powerhouse, has released their colour of the year. Corrections, colours of the year. For those of you still catching up, every December Pantone announces a colour that will represent the forthcoming year with the intention to connect with the zeitgeist.
December 2015 saw two colours announced, sending florists, interior designers and makeup artists into a frenzy. The two choices — Rose Quartz and Serenity — are reminiscent of light pink and baby blue, and we’re really enjoying the two subtle hues, especially after the past several years have been defined by bolder tones, like Marsala, Radiant Orchid, Emerald, and Tangerine Tango.
What next, you ask? Get ready to see these two colours a lot; KitchenAid and Keurig are already developing appliances in the two shades, and Smeg has them as part of their colour palette. To say colour is necessary to interior design is the world’s biggest understatement, and there’s no better expertise to take into consideration than the world’s most renowned colour enthusiasts. Here are our tips on how to incorporate the world’s hottest (or coolest) colours into your home…and wardrobe
Pink has the potential to be quite a cool colour, but Rose Quartz is a warm tone. Warmer hues seem to radiate positivity and help create a visually happier home.
1. The Kitchen: The kitchen isn’t a place where you’d be likely to find a whole lot of colour, and unless you’re going full retro, this is a tricky one to mitigate. Try incorporating a hero piece, like a solo pink barstool into the mix.
2. Living Room: Multiple decorative objectives, such as a collection of vases or pillows, will be exactly what this central room will need to pay homage to Pantone’s heroes.
3. The Laundry: For just a touch of pink in your laundry room, try using a rose quartz laminate on your countertop. It’s a subtle addition but will pop your room.
4. The Bedroom: Rose Quartz bed sheets are a must. Juxtapose with a darker colour like a light grey.
5. Outside: Outdoor furniture and throw pillows in a Rose Quartz hue will be your go-to for this area.
1. The Kitchen: A pale blue tile, on a bench or a splashback, is a simple and stunning way to add serenity (the colour and mood) to your kitchen.
2. The Living Room: A pale blue rug will be entirely complementary to typical living room neutrals.
3. The Laundry: If you have a modern home, try a serene-coloured backsplash to induce a contemporary feeling in your laundry room.
4. The Bedroom: An oversized throw is a great way to serene your room in all its glory.
5. Outside: Although it’s not something you do every day, re-tiling your pool can have it’s benefits. If you’re currently dealing with a darker coloured pool, now’s your opportunity to be with
NIKKO CERAMICS Cloud Salad Plate, approx. $69 – available at Barneys.
JARS Vuelta Dessert Plate, approx. $52 – available at Barneys.
Wedgwood Grace Frame 4×6 Rose Pink, $95 – available at David Jones.
Caran d’Ache + Paul Smith – 849 Mint Ballpoint Pen, approx. $71 – available at Paul Smith.
Country Road Pale Pink Callie Small Vase, $59.95 – available at David Jones.
LSA International Tulle Vase Pale Peacock 15cm, $99.95 – available at David Jones.
Marquis by Waterford Marq Confetti Gw Vase 23cm Pink, $47.95 – available at David Jones.
Paul Smith for The Rug Company – Blue Alphabet Blocks Needlepoint Wallhanging, approx. $3206 – available at Paul Smith.
Country Road Pastel Pink Clover Standard Pillow Case, $34.95 – available at David Jones.
House of Voltair Alistair Frost, Soup de Jour, Risograph Print, $118.77 – available at Farfetch.
Le Creuset Egg Cup Chiffon Pink,
$12.95 now $9.06 – available at David Jones.
Le Creuset Mug 350ml Coastal Blue,
$21.95 now $15.36 – available at David Jones.
Rab Labs Kiva 24K Gold & Sliced Rose Quartz Platter, approx. $686 – available at Bergdorf Goodman.
John Derian Bergdorf Goodman Blueprint Tray, $110 – available at Bergdorf Goodman.
Tala Dry Cook’s Measure Pink,
$24.95 now $17.46 – available at David Jones.
David Jones Whisk’ Milk Jug Blue,
$9.95 now $5.97 – available at David Jones.
Latte Bowls, approx. $33 – available at Anthropologie.
David Jones Whisk’ Colander 20cm Blue, $29.95 now $17.97 – available at David Jones.
SCANPAN SPECTRUM Pink Utility Knife,
$9.95 now $5.97 – available at David Jones.
Clearie Dining Chair, $274 – available at Anthropologie.
Smeg Kettle Pastel Pink, $199 – available at David Jones.
KitchenAid Ksm156 Frosted Azure Platinum Collection-Frosted Glass Bowl, $849 – available at David Jones.
KitchenAid KSM160 Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer Pink, $799 – available at David Jones.