From barely there to long and billowy, designers have taken the sleeve to the next level, playing with different styles, lengths and proportions this spring. And the result is something to keep everyone happy!
Here are the five sleeve styles to be seen in!
Sun’s out, guns out. Or something like that. But, seriously, if you want to go sans-sleeve, the options are endlessly inspired. From easy-wear shirts and dresses in crisp cotton and poplin to sporty tanks, and structured shell tops in girlie gingham or luxe, contoured leather.
Shrug off winter in a flirty off-the-shoulder number. One of the main trends of the season, the off shoulder look marries impeccably with nautical styling – think jaunty sailor stripes and crisp whites – or with a ruched detail for a more boho vibe.
1. Somedays Lovin’ Bohemia Off Shoulder Romper, $89.95 – available at General Pants.
2. Defiant Top, $299 – available at CAMILLA AND MARC.
3. Clara Off-the-Shoulder Top, $67.35 – available at Nasty Gal.
The cap sleeve does draw attention to the widest area of the arm, so this one takes prep (ie several speedy gym visits!) But if you’ve got guns you prepared earlier (during winter) that rival Michelle O, this is the time to flaunt them in a day or evening dress.
Hovering around – or just below -the elbow, the ¾ sleeve is the perfect spring cover up for untoned arms and indecisive temps. The key to rocking this look lies in the proportion play, so keep leg lengths (in skirts or jeans) long and slimline.
At the long end of the spectrum, sleeves are getting down – way down – hovering around the mid-hand. This is a gorgeous, elongating style and can prove really contemporary if you go for a full bell sleeve that is so popular at the moment.
1. ROKSANDA Myseen Long-Sleeved Silk Blouse, $939 – available at Matches Fashion.
2. Motel Swing Dress With Lace-Up & Flare Sleeves, was $86.43 now $43.21 – available at ASOS.
3. Ellery Protégé Top, $989 – available at David Jones.